Monday, May 2, 2011

Cafe Rio Shredded Pork

5-6 lb. boneless pork roast (I used half of a pork shoulder roast from Costco)
20 oz. Dr. Pepper or Coke
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 clove garlic, minced
7 oz. can chipotle chili peppers in adobo sauce (I found them at Walmart in the Hispanic foods section)
6 oz. red taco sauce
1 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. cumin
1/8 - 1/4 tsp. cayenne (red) pepper

Cover the pork roast about halfway with water and cook in a crock pot on low for 12 hours - I put it in the night before and let it cook all night. Drain and shred the pork with 2 forks. Depending on how fatty your roast was, you may want to remove any big chunks of fat as you shred.
Mix the remaining ingredients together until the sugar is dissolved. You can leave the chipotle peppers whole as you mix them in (if you chop them up, it will make it super spicy, so do it if you love the heat).
Add to shredded pork and cook on low an additional 4-6 hours. My crock pot has a warm setting, so I cooked it in the sauce about 3-4 more hours (stirring occasionally) and then turned it to warm until we were ready to eat. I pulled out the big chunks of peppers before serving. Mine was thawed and cooked up really tender - I'm not sure what adjustments you would have to make to the cooking time if you put the meat in frozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment